Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Deborah Julian. Photographer. Artist.

Cat Art Print-Cats in Paris
How'd you get started on Etsy?
I'd been making cards for family and friends for years. I heard about Etsy on The Today Show a couple of years ago. I finally started my own shop this year.

What was your inspiration for your shop?
A lot of my images involve my cats so the shop was created with my whimsical cat designs in mind. I have recently decided to put some of my more serious photos in the shop too.

What's your favorite shop item and why?
I think the Handle With Care image is my favorite. My cat George is a natural born clown and makes me laugh a dozen times a day. 
Cat Note Cards-Handle with Care-Set of 5 Cat Themed Cards

How do you unwind when you're not creating?
At home I unwind by playing with the cats, or by watching an old movie. I love to cook but don't seem to have much time for that anymore. I also love wandering around New York City, usually with my camera.

What's your favorite kind of cupcake?
Chocolate, with chocolate frosting. I love anything chocolate!

What pushes you to want to create something?
As a photographer, I'm an observer by nature. I love to take a photo or to create a cat image that captures something interesting I have seen.

What's your favorite cartoon as a kid. As an adult, if you stumble upon it while channel surfing now would you stop & watch?
I loved Bugs Bunny and still do. I'm a sucker for smart-alecky animals. I guess that's why I live with cats.

What's your fantasy job?
Taking photos for a travel magazine so I could go everywhere in the world!
Giclee Fine Art Print-Queensborough Bridge
Do you have a secret guilty pleasure?
I can't think of one.

List 3 things you are so obsessed with it is torture to ever say no to.
Travel, Art, Animals

List 3 of your favorite Etsy shops.
There are so many wonderful Etsy shops, I couldn't narrow it down to 3!

Do you have a favorite author?
When you read, do you use a proper bookmark, bend the page, or grab anything handy to mark your place? I love Anne Tyler and eagerly wait for her to come out with a new novel which I then devour. I buy lovely bookmarks but usually can't find them when I'm reading so I pick up the nearest piece of paper to use as a bookmark. Unfortunately, this problem of not finding what I need does not just apply to bookmarks.

Cat Art Print-Chat Noir
If money was no object and you can live wherever you want….where would that be?
Italy. I'm 1/2 Italian and have two good friends living in Italy. My husband and I have actually fantasize about retiring there. I'm studying Italian just in case!

What is your best childhood memory?
My mother's two older sisters who never married lived with us when I was a child. My wonderful aunt Stella was fairly shy but she loved taking my sister and me places. I think doing things for us gave her courage to do things she wanted to do. She took me on a few trips when I was very young--to New York City, to Washington DC and a few other places. I think she inspired my love of travel. When my nieces were kids I tried to do the same for them.

You can see more of Deborah Julian on Etsy and Facebook. She will also be participating in the Thanksgiving Sales Event  with the Etsy DTeam. Please visit her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...